Everyone loves a good hack — a simple and creative way to do something that has you wondering, “Why didn’t I think of that?”
When it comes to home organizing, hacks are a great way to make being organized easier than you think. Here are a few of our favorite home hacks that will help you stay organized and clutter-free.
Some of these hacks will completely change the way you organize your home, while others are just a few steps to take to be more productive. Either way, try out these ideas and let us know if they helped with your organizing!
For Your Car and Garage
- Keep a garbage can near the driver’s side of the garage. Throw trash away every time you leave the car. It’s such a small step to take but it will make such a big difference. No more driving around with garbage in your car!
- Keep plastic shopping bags/boxes available for when you need to haul items, rather than using paper or no bags at all.
- Keep a covered container in your car with incidental items you may need for a quick trip to the store — glasses, pens, pencils, Debit cards, cash. Keep it zipped up in a bin or bag when not in use and only take out what you need.
- Use a seat-back organizer for your kid’s items, so they are in one centralized spot.
- Get a magnetic strip that you can use to hang items on your car. We like this
- Get a car wash once a week. Keep glass cleaner and dash wipes in your glove box. Wipe down your car each time you go through the car wash.
- Use a tackle box or other container with sections to create a snack tray for road trips. The compartments make it easier to offer your kids variety, and the lid prevents spills from making a mess.
For Your Home
- Keep the roll of garbage bags in the bottom of your trash can. You’ll never need to hunt for a liner again. Add a can of disinfectant, too. You can change the liner and clear the air at one time.
- Use a bookshelf in your closet. Many bookshelves work well in a closet and give you more useable real estate for shoes, stackable clothing, and accessories.
- Use magazine holders to store items in your pantry. It’s a great way to keep snacks organized and keeps them visible so they are easy to grab when needed.
- Shower hooks are great for organizing. You can hang hats, tanks, or other easy-to-reach items on a rod in your closet.
- Fold sheets and place them inside a pillowcase to create one tidy packet. You won’t have to suffer disheveled fitted sheets, and your linen closet will look excellent and streamlined.
- Keep only one type of cleaning solution on hand. Use that one solution for all of your cleaning needs, rather than having many bottles scattered around your house. You’ll save space and be able to find it easier when you need it.
- For your laundry room, Use a three-shelf organizer under the dryer or in a corner of the laundry room to store small items like detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets, and other items. If you have a laundry sorter in your room use the shelves to keep it organized.
For the Yard
- Instead of dragging your equipment from the front to the back, consider buying two of the items you need. Having a set for each yard saves time, and you always have a backup if one of your pieces breaks.
- Use a furniture dolly or large cart to transport items back and forth for yard work. Being able to bring everything to one location at once streamlines the process.
- By doing your yards on Thursday, it allows you to enjoy the yard over the weekend when you are most likely home to BBQ or have company, instead of spending the weekend working on it.
- Use a rack to hang your power and hand tools. Store them outside and you can easily grab what you need without moving around your garage or shed.
Cleaning my house is not something I look forward to doing. In fact, most days my motivation for cleaning comes from having people over or attending a party that will happen at my house. This means that I have to take a few minutes to straighten things up, throw stuff away, and do a quick surface cleaning. That’s where these hacks come in handy for a busy mom like me!
Having simple hacks that save time and money make it easier and more enjoyable to get things organized. Having out-of-the-box ways to clean, be tidy, and organize is part of the fun of a home. You’ll be able to enjoy your new space and the things in it, instead of struggling with clutter.