For many people, the feelings caused by the loss of a loved one can be immensely overwhelming. As time goes by though, healing tends to take place. But how can grieving families keep the dearest memories of their departed loved ones alive and close to their hearts? How do they discover ways to still feel connected with them, even after they have left their physical existence?
Fortunately, the memories do not easily fade and there are ways for those experiencing bereavement to honor their loved ones. Many people find comfort in creating a custom urn for their loved ones, and now there are companies that create custom urns that can be individually designed to capture the fundamental qualities and intrinsic nature of a loved one.
The Uniqueness of a Custom Urn
An urn is generally defined as a decorated container, particularly one that is used to hold the ashes of someone. While this definition accurately describes the appearance of a standard urn, it doesn’t reveal how an urn can be personalized to honor the life of a loved one. Custom urns, on the other hand, capture the essence, character, and life of an individual loved one.
Choosing the most suitable custom urn can be challenging, especially for a family who is dealing with grief. Many people find it beneficial to take the time to consider what aspects were unique to the person. This way, they can decide what can make the urn meaningful. The process is made a little bit easier with the following general categories:
- Sports: Whether a loved one enjoyed playing, watching, or talking about sports, a custom sports cremation urn can be designed to honor their memory. Among others, sports urns include baseball, football, boxing, fishing, golf, and bowling.
- Lifestyle: Maybe a loved one had a particular lifestyle they enjoyed such as traveling, enjoying holidays, hobbies like gardening, or even a love for certain foods. Stories, images, and ideas just need to be shared and a custom urn can be created.
- Vehicles: Personalized vehicle urns can be designed to look almost exactly the same as the life-sized versions. If a loved one was a car or motorcycle enthusiast, a custom car or motorcycle urn of any make, model, year and color can be created to commemorate them.
- Music: Custom music urns can help honor and celebrate the life of a loved one who was a music lover. Although many people choose guitars and pianos, other instruments such as drums and violins can also be designed and hand-finished to represent the memory of a loved one.
A Personalized Urn for a Loved One
Cremation has become more common than traditional burials in recent times. According to the Cremation Association of North America, the US cremation rate increased from 57.2% in 2021, to 59% in 2022. Fortunately, the memory of a lost loved one can be kept alive with an urn. An urn is a lasting tribute that helps tell the story of a person’s life.
Choosing a Model or Design Urn
People have many options to choose from when planning their urn, depending on what subject or theme they feel best commemorates their loved one. If one opts to make a completely custom urn for their loved one, you need to make sure you work with an experienced, compassionate, and patient company that will take the time to make and perfect an urn that will faithfully capture the memory of your loved one.
In this situation, information that doesn’t already have a form such as how a loved one enjoyed swimming, watching movies, or going on hikes is given to the designers. This information is subsequently used to create a unique and personalized urn. The following process generally happens for design urns:
- A close family member or friend of a loved one shares ideas, images, or stories with the team of artists.
- The team works together with the individual to create a personalized urn that captures the interests, character, and life of the loved one.
- The loved one is memorialized through a custom urn that helps honor and celebrate their life.
Celebrating a Lasting Legacy
Custom urns are sentimental memorials that are specifically designed to look like items and passions that were significant to the lives of lost loved ones. These unique creations allow families to have solace and honor the memory of their loved ones. People can now create a custom urn that matches the legacy of their loved one and celebrate a life well lived.